Wednesday 23 May 2012

Organic agriculture midweek rant

Getting ready for the next insect I know will start to attack our young olive trees in the next few weeks, whose eating habits do more damage than the one depicted some posts below (it's called Margaronia Unionalis, more on the subject later...), I made some phonecalls to see which ecological substances are available in the shops at hand. Two thirds of them store no organic substances. Several store one which is not very specific - meaning it will affect the population of useful insects too.

 Just one has available the product I'd like to use - it specifically targets leaves-eating larvas. Good, I'm going to buy some to be ready for the first attack.

So, where's the rant? I was mildly upset by one agronomist trying to sell me the product affecting a wider range of insects explaining me that I should buy it because a well known local olive grower uses it, who happens to have converted its production to "organic". Okay, it's better than a chemical pesticide, but it's not the Rolls Royce of organic defence - this would not have stirred my inner calm that much if few days ago I hadn't visited the fields of another "organic" producer where I found no ants, spiders, ladybirds or whatsoever form of multicellular life. Let's not even speak of hearing a bird singing. Kind of strange for an organically treated field - mine looks like an insect zoo. I might be wrong, but I feel a certain lassez-faire attitude towards organic practice.

Anyway, I say to myself, let's try to do things right and stone by stone, hopefully build a quality wall against any suspicion.


No comments:

Post a Comment