Monday 26 March 2012

The ladybirds are back!

Its pruning season and the gentle weather made yesterday's work look more like a stroll in the fields rather than actual hard labour. Whilst I was warming up and still lacking the necessary zen state of mind to concentrate on the intended activities, I noticed the first ladybird hiding behind a leave.

On the next pair of trees (before I started concentrating on the actual work I planned to do) I saw this couple

and this other one sunbathing

Now this is an almost completely different insect, although looking ladybird-ish

Whilst the ladybirds were pretty motionless, the black one was running around like it was looking for the car keys or something - it was a real treat having it hold steady for the few seconds I needed to take the picture.

Why to mention ladybirds in a blog about growing olives and making olive oil? Those little creatures are one of the best friend of the organic producer - they devour an amazing number of larvae and other small pests that we really do not want to feed on the olive tree and its fruits. On the other hand, if generic pesticides are used, the ladybirds get the lower hand together with the insects the pesticides were meant to eliminate. So, it is quite a honour to see them visiting us in such number and doing their pest control.

I've been told that the ladybirds are likely to stick around if proper housing is provided to them - one of the things we'll do this year is put some "ladybird condominiums" around the fields to see if it really works. Will put some pics when my daughter and me will start with the construction business!

No comments:

Post a Comment